Monday, January 1, 2018

Goodbye to Newport

Hello Everyone,

This week was my final week in Newport.  On Friday I got transfer news that I will be opening an area in the Santa Clara stake in Eugene in the 6th ward.  I will also be training next transfer, so I will not be figuring out who my trainee will be until Thursday morning.  Honestly, this next transfer has me a little nervous, a lot of responsibility is being put on me to get this area going, but if President and the Lord feel I can do it I will go and do my best!

As far as how the week went, we finished Christmas playing trivia games and doing dinner with the same family we did Thanksgiving with.  The following few days were pretty standard days in the mission field.  Elder Law and I have really done our best to go out and try to visit and update our records of all the less active members in the area.  So far we have found at least fifty people who have moved out as well as a host of reasons on why people don't want to come back.  Overall, the experience has made me want to really make sure I keep on reading the Book of Mormon every day through my life and not fall into the trap many of these people have fallen in.  In it all though, we did find a young couple that wants to learn more about the church that Elder Law will teach in the future as well as help cut down a tree for another less active member.

Teaching wise, we finished the commandments with Shannon and got to start teaching the Laws and Ordinances.  The lessons have been very solid, and we were able to start figuring out many of the details relating to her baptism in a couple weeks.  It has been nice seeing her progress as well as seeing the ward really rally around Shannon.  Then this Sunday was mostly spent with me saying good bye to many of the people I got to work with, members and nonmembers.  It will be bittersweet leaving the coast, but I know that there is someone waiting for the message of the Gospel in Eugene that I am suppose to touch. 

Thanks for all of the support!
Elder Baxter

When they leave the area 
they get to write their name on the wall

Saying goodbye

Farewell

'til we meet again

Goodbye coastline 



No comments:

Post a Comment